There has been much discussion about the reorganization of The United Methodist Church at General Conference 2012 with plans from various constituencies. I am grateful to Jeremy Smith for putting together an extensive post in which he compares the various plans and shares his views.
I believe that Plan UMC is the best starting point for a way forward for the denomination.
- is the only restructure plan that emerged at General Conference after the response of delegates in #Gen Admin Committee
- preserves and strengthens the role of #gcorr and #cosrow in the Committee on Inclusivity #gc2012
- is a way forward that will provide greater clarity, organization and direction for our boards and agencies #gc2012
- will focus on creating vital congregations which incarnate the work of all the boards and agencies in a local context.
- puts the denomination at the edge of its comfort zone - a place where progress is most likely to occur.
Regardless of what restructuring plan does or does not pass at General Conference, I am hopeful for the future of The United Methodist Church. I am looking forward to continuing our mission together to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.