RSS

economic injustice

Losing Influence

Pew Research Center Chart

A national survey shows that Americans think many groups will lose influence in the new federal administration, but some United Methodists remain committed to spreading love and seeking justice. more

Jan 19, 2017 3:37 PM Views from a Ridge

E. Stanley Jones Mug

E. Stanley Jones Foundation Photo

With a quote from legendary Methodist evangelist E. Stanley Jones, the Rev. Laura Felleman offers a Christian perspective on the inequalities of America's current economic transition. more

Jan 24, 2016 1:49 PM Perspectives

Muslims praying

By Antonio Melina/Agência Brasil [CC BY 3.0 br (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/br/deed.en)], via Wikimedia Commons

Three concepts -- struggle over one's own idolatry, commitment to common good, and fairer economic practices -- are Muslim ideals that the Rev. Morgan Guyton finds resemble rarely used Christian practices. more

Dec 18, 2015 8:00 AM Perspectives

Hands

Creative Commons Share

Charitable giving meets immediate needs but rarely addresses the causes that keep people in poverty and subjugation, so a deeper solidarity is needed, writes the Rev. Joerg Rieger. more

Dec 11, 2015 8:05 AM Practicing Faith

Cash

Photo Courtesy of Richard L. Bryant

The church is called to be a counter-cultural alternative to the consumer-driven norms dominating our society, but instead The United Methodist Church maintains the economic status quo that's hurting people, says the Rev. Richard Lowell Bryant. more

Sep 17, 2015 2:21 PM Local Church

Revolution

Photo Courtesy of The God Article

In the last of his four-part series, Mark Sandlin contends that American Christians are called by God to radically change the nation's current political and economic systems that are sustaining nationwide poverty. more

May 6, 2015 5:50 PM Perspectives

US Flag Divided

(c) 123RF Stock Photo from The God Article

In the first of a four-part series, writer Mark Sandlin examines the true divide in America – the income gap between the ever-richer 1 percent and the other 99 percent of Americans. more

May 6, 2015 5:48 PM Perspectives

Baltimore Riots April 2015

Photo Courtesy of Mike Slaughter.com

Nepal's earthquake and Baltimore's unrest set the Rev. Mike Slaughter to pondering and prayer about Christians' role in attempting to heal a burning world. more

May 6, 2015 5:43 PM Perspectives

Parallel Universes

Illustration Courtesy of Dan R. Dick

Parallel Universes

United Methodists have far more financial and other resources than nine-tenths of the world, and it could use those resources more attentively to bless others, writes the Rev. Dan R. Dick. more

Aug 2, 2013 8:51 AM Dan R. Dick

Money2

Dreamstime.com

If John Wesley's economic and social works saved England from revolution, why does The United Methodist Church remain so silent on the destabilizing economic injustice afflicting America today? more

Jul 25, 2013 5:12 PM Views from a Ridge