RSS

poverty

As long as people are following Jesus and giving everything up, then there will always be "the poor," writes the Rev. Jason Valendy. Read more

Church-related projects and programs intended to build community relationships and counteract racism and xenophobia have been funded by the General Commission on Religion and Race's Action Fund. Read more

Advocating Justice

Little things make the big things: what little things that make big things could we do in the big “do-over” time that we call the New Year? asks the Rev. Dr. Christy Thomas. Read more

Christy Thomas

The Rev. Jeremy Smith reflects on biblical guidance for how to respond to the tax reform act of 2017. Read more

Jeremy Smith 4 Comments

Christ Rich Youth

Public Domain USA Photo, Wikimedia Commons

Are we meant to care for the poor, or are we ourselves meant to be poor in order to have the fullest relationship with God? Read more

Perspectives

Goodwill Date Night

Hacking Christianity Screencap

The poor will always be with you–but that doesn’t make them an appropriate topic to be the butt of jokes, writes the Rev. Jeremy Smith. Read more

Jeremy Smith 1 Comments

Sharon Watkins

NCC Photo

A coalition of faith-based organizations known as the Circle of Protection spoke out against the deep cuts in federal poverty programs proposed in the Trump Administration budget. Read more

Bronx boys

Photo by Americanspirit, Dreamstime.com

After a week of horrific shootings, the Rev. Christy Thomas offers some hard, sobering facts about the realities of life in America for many people. Read more

Christy Thomas

61st Ave. Luncheon

Photo by Rich Peck

Gentrification is having a negative effect on 61st Avenue United Methodist Church, a beacon of hope and care in the West Nashville neighborhood known as the Nations, writes the Rev. Rich Peck. Read more

Poverty

(c) 123 RF Stock Photo via The God Article

In the second of a four-part series on poverty in America, writer Mark Sandlin looks at the root causes of America's growing number of economically deprived citizens – greed. Read more

Perspectives 1 Comments

Patriotic Glasses

(c) 123RF Stock Photo via The God Article

In the third of four parts, Mark Sandlin describes living in poverty in America, including life for a single mother of two making $14,500 a year Read more

Perspectives

Revolution

Photo Courtesy of The God Article

In the last of his four-part series, Mark Sandlin contends that American Christians are called by God to radically change the nation's current political and economic systems that are sustaining nationwide poverty. Read more

Perspectives

US Flag Divided

(c) 123RF Stock Photo from The God Article

In the first of a four-part series, writer Mark Sandlin examines the true divide in America – the income gap between the ever-richer 1 percent and the other 99 percent of Americans. Read more

Perspectives

The United Methodist Board of Church and Society is joining other national organizations to urge Congress to adopt a federal budget that doesn't penalize the nation's most vulnerable citizens. Read more

In the Church

Municipal Violations

YouTube Screencap

The Rev. Laura Felleman calls the church's attention to comedian John Oliver's commentary on the new form of debtors' prison: excessive fines for municipal violations. Read more

Perspectives

Ten Things That Aren't in the Sermon on the Mount

Living out Jesus' Sermon on the Mount is challenging enough for any Christian without the things that have been attached to it through the centuries, writes the Rev. Jim Burklo. Read more

Oct 16, 2014 4:05 PM Jim Burklo 1 Comments

ALL the Children

Featured image by Flickr user epSos. de. Used under Creative Commons License. Cropped from original.

Daunting as the challenges seem, the gospel of Jesus Christ demands that Christians never resist caring for the welfare of all the world's children, writes the Rev. Brandon Lazarus. Read more

Perspectives

Poverty Simulation

UMNS Photo by Kathleen Barry

Noted progressive Christian author the Rev. Jim Burklo examines how to reduce and end poverty in America from a surprising spiritual perspective – a recent speech by Tea Party Republican Paul Ryan on reforming federal programs. Read more

2 Comments

Generosity

Used by Permission of Seedbed

From his faith perspective, neither institutional welfare nor individual charity is the right approach to alleviating poverty, writes J.D. Walt of Seedbed. Read more

Perspectives

Why is that our collective experience of poverty doesn't make us as more empathetic? asks the Rev. Laura Felleman. Read more

Perspectives